Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Event: The U.S. Embassy has seen an increase in violent crime in areas frequented by American employees and their families. Of special concern is that these crimes have occurred during daylight hours. These crimes have not targeted U.S. citizens; however, we would like to remind the U.S. citizens to be vigilant while traveling in Kingston by foot or by vehicle.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Park in well-lit areas, as close to entrances as possible.
- Do not leave valuables inside your vehicle.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Review your personal security plan.
U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
Whitter Village, Ironshore
Unit EU-1 (across from Burger King)
Montego Bay, St. James, Jamaica
U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
150 Smith Road
Smith Road Center, Unit 202B
George Town, KY1-1010
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates