Location: St. James Parish, Jamaica, which includes the city of Montego Bay
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kingston advises U.S. citizens that, effective January 18, the Government of Jamaica has declared a State of Emergency for St. James Parish, Jamaica, to counter criminal activity. The State of Emergency, declared under the 1966 Emergency Powers Act, allows Jamaican security forces within the borders of St. James Parish to arbitrarily detain and deport suspicious persons, enter premises, and seize property without warrant. Expect to encounter increased police and military presence, checkpoints, and searches of persons and vehicles within the borders of St. James Parish.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Cooperate with any police or military personnel you may encounter.
- Do not resist a police or military inspection of your vehicle and personal belongings.
- Allow additional time for transit on the roads in St. James Parish.
U.S. Embassy Kingston, Jamaica
· U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
· U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
· State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444