Location: Jamaica and the Cayman Islands
Event: Earthquake and Tsunami
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 occurred off the north coast of Jamaica at 2:10 p.m. on January 28. Based on the preliminary parameters, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reports that hazardous tsunami waves are possible for the coasts of Jamaica and the Caymans.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates and follow instructions from national and local authorities.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. Embassy Kingston, Jamaica
- U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
- U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Jamaica Country Information
- Cayman Island Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook