Location: Central Downtown Kingston (Market & Business Districts), including: Denham Town (Zone of Special Operation), Greenwich Town, Hannah Town, Jones Town, Tivoli Gardens, Trench Town (Rose Town & Arnett Gardens), and Whitfield Town.
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kingston advises U.S. citizens that, effective September 23, the Government of Jamaica has declared a State of Emergency for Central Downtown Kingston, Jamaica, to counter criminal activity. The State of Emergency allows Jamaican security forces to arbitrarily detain and deport suspicious persons, enter premises, and seize property without warrant. Expect to encounter increased police and military presence, checkpoints, and searches of persons and vehicles within the State of Emergency area. Businesses and public places in these areas will have restricted hours of operation. The areas affected by this State of Emergency declaration were already off-limits to Embassy personnel.
Actions to Take:
• Monitor local media for updates.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Cooperate with any police or military personnel you may encounter.
• Do not resist a police or military inspection of your vehicle and personal belongings.
• Allow additional time for transit on the roads.
• U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
• U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
• State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
• Jamaica Country Information
• Cayman Island Country Information
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
• Follow us on Twitter and Facebook