An official website of the United States government

Traveling With Children

Traveling with children to Jamaica

The Jamaican government may ask for documentary proof of the relationship between minors and adults, such as birth certificates, guardianship papers or consent letters.

Traveling with children to the U.S.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child’s other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups, a note signed by both parents) stating “I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so.” CBP also suggests that this note be notarized.

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if they do ask, and the adult does not have it, the adult may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

For more information: See Q&A Parental Consent.