Parents who are U.S. citizens at the time of their child’s birth in Jamaica or the Cayman Islands may be able to transmit U.S. citizenship to their child. In order for American Citizen Services to determine whether you meet the transmission requirements, please make an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth (CRBA).

To qualify for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, the U.S. citizen parent must provide sufficient proof of a biological relationship to the child, as well as evidence that he/she spent the required period physically present in the U.S. before the child was born. You can learn more about specific transmission requirements here.

The following documents are required at the time of application:

  • DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad(PDF 345 KB)
  • Child’s original birth certificate
  • Evidence that the transmitting parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth
  • Government-issued identification of both parents
  • Parents’ original marriage & divorce certificate(s) (if applicable)
  • Proof of periods of physical presence in the United States before the child’s birth*
  • $100 USD

*You may use school transcripts, tax returns, old passports, or other documentation that demonstrates you were physically present, not just maintaining a residence in the United States. Additionally, you should be prepared to detail all your departures and entries to and from the U.S. up until the birth date of your child.

Please note: Take the time to carefully fill out your application and prepare your supporting documents before the day of your appointment.  Incomplete or unsatisfactorily completed forms will not be accepted: In all such cases, you will need to schedule a new appointment.  Please see our Sample CRBA Application (PDF 1.2 MB) for guidance on the completion of the forms.

An application for the child’s first passport may be submitted along with the CRBA application. For instructions on the passport process, please see passport applications for minors.

To make an appointment for a Report of Birth, please send an email to or call 702-6006. Follow-up questions, should be sent by email.

Visit Travel.State.Gov for more information about preparing for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad appointment.