Description of Contest Objectives
To celebrate Black History Month 2020 the U.S Embassy in Kingston invites Jamaicans to share stories through photos of individuals who display courage, strength and self-sacrifice in service to their communities in the areas of Education, Economic Prosperity or Civic Inclusion. The aim of this contest is to highlight the efforts being taken by little known individuals to improve the lives and opportunities afforded to persons within their communities in the given areas.
Contest participants will also have the opportunity to showcase their ability to tell stories through photography.
- Education: An individual who has made significant effort to advance the lives of members of their communities by facilitating the process of learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values and disciplines that serve to advance society or their communities.
- Economic Prosperity: An individual whose efforts have positively served to promote the ability of community members to acquire or create sustainable fiscal opportunities, through skills training, or through facilitating entrepreneurship.
- Civic Inclusion: An individual who has taken steps to promote or encourage community members to participate in the political, development and practical aspects of citizenship, with attention to the operation and oversight of government and government institutions, in an effort to promote the well-being of all within their community.
How to Participate: The contest is easy to enter – submit photos to Kingstonsocialmedia@state.gov using hashtag #UnsungheroesJA. The contest is open to individuals who are Jamaican residents. The contest begins on January 3, 2020 and ends on January 24, 2020.
Photo submission requirements:
- The photo must be submitted to Kingstonsocialmedia@state.gov with a clear description of location and why subject or scene is important to that particular community, using the hashtag #UnsungheroesJA
- The photo must be taken in Jamaica
- Photos must be submitted in high resolution no less than 300 DPI
- Photo must be 11 inches X 17 inches in dimensions
- Photos must be submitted between January 3, 2019 and January 24, 2020
- Participants must comply with submission rules.
- Judging begins January 27 and ends on January 31, 2020.
- The top 15 photographs will be featured in an exhibition in Kingston and Montego Bay for public viewing.
- Winners of the top three photo entries will win cool prizes – 1st place Laptop, 2nd place DSLR Camera and 3rd place Tablet
- Winners will be announced at the second display location
- The winning photos will be posted on the U.S. Embassy’s social media platforms